Grafton is a city in the State of North Dakota and is the county seat of Walsh County. As of the 2020 Census, the city of Grafton had a population of 4,170, making it the fifteenth largest city in North Dakota. Grafton was founded in 1881.
The Grafton area was first settled by Thomas E Cooper in early 1879. He became postmaster later that year when a post office was constructed as part of expansions in service for the Northern Pacific Railway and the Great Northern Railway. It was incorporated as a village in 1881 and then became a city in 1903. In 1881, Walsh County was established and Grafton was subsequently designated the county seat. The city was named for Grafton County, New Hampshire, the native home of a large share of its early settlers.
The Grafton State School, a home for the developmentally disabled, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.